Friday, March 1, 2024

4 Things I'm Doing to Get Ready for Gardening & Preserving Season Right Now.

Well granted you can do preserving all year long, main preserving season comes in the summer with the bounty of gardens and farmers' markets. I like to have a plan, an idea, a vision of some sort to get be ready. I also like having a (somewhat) cleaned and organized freezer and pantry, so there is less chaos during the busiest time.

So, there are a few things I like to do, as I plan the garden and thus prepare for my summer projects, my pantry and freezer restock - the food security and health I build for my family each year.


1. Taking inventory of the pantry.

There are a few givens in the garden, like tomatoes, but the crops, or how much, maybe be determined by what I have remaining in the pantry this time of year.

What did we not use at all? Take stock and either don't grow those items, don't fall into their alure at the market and don't process them this coming year. We have way, way too many beans, which we never end up really eating, so I do not need to grow beans this year.

What do we need more of? Decide whether you are going to grow more of that item, or where you will purchase it. We are way too low on tomato-basil soup for my liking, so I am growing more tomatoes this year and planning to can more of that item (don't forget the other ingredients!).

How is my canning supplies stock? When you want to get started on a project it's nice to have supplies on hand to grab and not have to run out and buy them. I also don't want to get caught without items if supply chain disruptions happen again. Pick up supplies here and there to spread the cost out and build up your stock; keep an eye on sales.


2. Taking inventory of the freezers.

Assessing the pantry and freezers have some similarities. The freezers just may need emptying a few times a year to really keep an eye on inventory, avoid loosing items below and using up items that may have lost seal, etc.

What did we not use at all? Prioritize using these items in upcoming meal plans. Adjust the garden plan as necessary. Freezer space can be tight! We don't want to waste it.

What do we need more of? Grow more! Freeze more, or add new ways to preserve these items. We love to freeze peppers, but the freezer gets full, so we make sure to dehydrate some as well.

Items in abundance, or that have lost vacuum seal need to be either cleaned out, added to meal plans and perhaps 


3. Take inventory of seeds & seed starting supplies/review local foods plan.

When getting my garden plan finalized I am taking inventory of seeds and ordering what needs restocking. I like to have a little extra, so I'm not running out year to year (a little extra insurance), but not too much that it goes bad before I get to using it. My seed always stays either frozen or refrigerated.

What seeds and supplies need ordering? Do you need trays, containers, plant tags? Do you have a big stash of yogurt containers that you can start cutting stakes out of to reduce and reuse?

If you're not growing a certain product you need, like sweet corn, where are you sourcing it? Build these sources into your local food plan. I know if I don't grow sweet corn (usually doesn't make it into my limited space) that I'm going to buy it locally from Cedar Crate Farm or Gulden Family Farm, but I came across an organic source in Dassel I may explore; last year I never made it to canning corn, so I purchased some from Azure Standard and vacuum sealed. I try to source more and more local each year, but make sure to have a back up that supports my values.


 4. What can I let do of to free up space and energy for more important things?

What recipe(s) do I keep guilting myself over making/not making? Back to the sweet corn, I was really giving myself heck for not getting to that, but ultimately that doesn't serve me. We can't do it all. If there is something you can't get to, let it go. If there is something you just DO NOT enjoy doing, let it go; or remind yourself that you 'choose' to do it for X reason, this mindframe of choosing to, instead of having to, serves us better.

What limiting belief(s) is holding me back? "I can't grow anything to save my life!" is something I hear all the time, but it's truly a limiting belief and the more it's repeated the more it's manifested. What limiting belief are you repeating/holding on to that is keeping you from moving forward? How does "I'm still learning to grow things!" feel different than the first statement? One I let go of was, "I am not a baker!"

What just does not grow well/I don't enjoy growing/we never end up eating? Back to those canned beans, I am not planting them this year, but I also said that last year and guess what? We didn't eat that may last year! I am NOT planting them this year. I am also not trying to make pickles again, because we just never end up eating them. Grow things that bring you joy!! That save you money. That grow well in your garden! Source other items locally, or barter with a friend who enjoys growing that item. Last year my neighbor and I traded apples for carrots! It was a win-win.


What are you doing to prepare? What are you letting go of? If you have something to add to this list holler back at me!

No comments:

Post a Comment