Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Rhubarb!

I have to say that I am really excited about our little rhubarb plants!

Glaskins Perpetual Rhubarb
I started these from seed on June 15th, so they are about 6 weeks old. I just potted them up last week and they are doing great. We have 27 plants here, and this variety is reputed for being able to cut the first year--hopefully we will have some to cut for our CSA boxes, and ourselves, for 2013 and general sale for 2014 and beyond!

This was just great--instead of buying potted rhubarb roots for $4-5 apiece (that would be over $100 for this amount), I paid $2.00 for an heirloom variety (a lot more choice of selection this way). Add a couple more dollars cost for soil and fertilizer and I saved $90 or more! Sweet.

Mmmm...rhubarb crisp.

No comments:

Post a Comment