Monday, March 7, 2022

Putting Up Potatoes

Let’s talk taters!
The ease of growing, harvesting, storing and cooking potatoes makes them such a great crop! I love the adventure of digging potatoes, discovering what has grown.
In our garden I plant an early variety for fresh eating, a mid-season for short term storage and late season for winter storage. Late season and storage varieties will store best, after proper curing.
Potatoes are stored in our basement/pantry in mesh bags (about 10lbs each), with two or three thrown in a wooden box with ventilation or a bushel basket (pictured) - I line it with a burlap bag, then throw another over top to keep them in the dark. Then start to process them once they get sprouting. Ideal conditions are 36-40 degrees and 90% humidity - just do the best you can!


Potatoes can be processed a variety of ways for keeping. Usually I take the easy route and make mashed potatoes to freeze for easy meals! Twice bakers can also be prepped for freezing, as can shredded potatoes for hashbrowns.


Dehydrating potatoes is another great option. Slice up and dry; rehydrate in water to use as desired, or toss straight into soups. I would also like to try dehydrating mashed potatoes (without any dairy) to crumble up and have on hand for instant mashers!


Potatoes can also be canned! This is a project I’d like to try with the last of our alien sprouting potatoes. This fall I canned beef stew, which turned out amazing and it’s a nice idea if you have a few to use up.
I’d love to hear any other ideas you may have! Pop ideas and any questions in the comments below!
My fav place for buying seed potatoes is The Maine Potato Lady! This year we are growing Nicola, Natascha and Canela Russet. Mountain Rose is my FAV early variety. Green Mountain is my fav storage variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment