Monday, April 24, 2023

I didn’t grow up farming.


I didn’t grow up farming.

I didn’t grow up with farm animals, or know how to take a pigs temperature (rectally 😳).

I didn’t grow up canning, preserving, cooking even.


I didn’t grow up foraging and making plant medicine.

I didn’t grow up eating wild game and animals I knew the names of.

I didn’t grow up in the garden.


I didn’t render lard or bake bread til my 30s. Didn’t nail sourdough til my 40s.

I wasn’t blessed by time with grandparents that passed down traditional knowledge and skills.

I had to learn. I taught myself, I learned from others, I gathered mentors, went to classes, read.


I dug in. Got messy. Screwed up. Failed. Tried again. Got my hands dirty. Lost animals. Lost plants. Baked a beautiful loaf of bread.

I grew a garden. I raised a pig. I tasted the difference.

I learned to cook. Strike that, still learning to cook. You can taste the difference.


When you dig in you can...
See
Smell
Taste
Touch and feel
Hear
...the differences. A subsurface experience that grows the soul.

Moments of joy and pride. As well as frustrations. It’s all part of the ride.


A couple years ago the concept of “limiting beliefs” kept popping up for me. Okay universe! I’m listening. Learning about limiting beliefs and becoming aware of that messaging from self, society, family was powerful.

Limiting beliefs are state of mind or beliefs about yourself that restrict you in some way.

One limiting belief I had was “I am NOT a baker.” Screwed up cookies, and more. All. The. Time. I changed that.


We just have to dig in and try. Do a little bit more all the time.

We humans need creativity and hands on work. We need challenges to stretch ourselves and grow. We need to do the things. The only thing holding us back sometimes is our own minds.

What have you taught yourself?

What do you still want to learn?
.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment